Basically I made this because I had treated myself to a beautiful new non stick pan and fancied trying it out! I had also planned on making chilli and fancied something similar but made all in one pot.
It was very tasty, the perfect comfort food. Not hot and not too spicy but juuuuust right! You can obviously make it hotter and spicier though if you’d prefer it that way. The cheese on the top is optional, as it would still taste fabby doo without it but it just makes it extra tasty if you have your Healthy Extra A choice or the syns to spare! I hope you like it!
One Pan Lightly Spiced Mexican Rice – Syn free on EE
– 500g 5% fat beef mince
– 1/2 onion, diced
– 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
– 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
– 1 orange pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
– 150g uncooked basmati rice (you can also use brown as well and adjust the cooking time)
– ½ a carton of pasatta
– 250 ml of hot water
– Chicken stock cube
– Half a tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
– Handful of frozen peas
– ¼ a teaspoon of chili powder
– ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika
– 1 teaspoon of cumin
– Black pepper to taste
– 80g reduced fat cheese – OPTIONAL 2 x Healthy Extra A choice or 6 syns per serving
- Place a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic for a minute. Add chopped peppers and cook for another minute. Add mince to pan and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Stir in rice, kidney beans, peas, pasatta, water, crumbled chicken stock cube, cumin, paprika and chili powder.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir every so often if the rice starts to stick. Season with additional pepper as needed.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle with cheese, cover again and remove from heat allowing the cheese to melt, about 2-3 minutes.
I think I shall be making more one pot rice dishes! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!